We welcome you to apply for 2019-2020!
If you are a Providence resident, and your child will be entering Kindergarten, 1st, 5th, or 6th grade we welcome you to apply. Applications are still being accepted until we fill all our seats!
Our School Is Dedicated To
- Diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Hands-on, student-centered learning
- Environmental stewardship
What if school could be…?
We believe in the power of asking “What if?” to effect change, to inspire, and to reimagine what education can look and feel like, for all our children.
Discover more about our values
A Note From Our Director
Welcome to the Wangari Maathai Community School website! I am so happy you found us and hope you will spend some time here learning about our vision for this unique school.
At the core of what this school aims to do is a deep desire to connect our students’ learning with the world just outside the school’s doors. I was inspired to start this journey by several things, but it was this article that really brought all my ideas together. What if we could teach history by going out into the city to see where history happened; to teach civics by going to visit the state house or attending City Council meetings; to teach science by visiting urban gardens/bee hives/chicken coops, and taking water samples from our rivers… And, perhaps most important, what it we could learn to love our place by going back again and again to our favorite spots, our favorite trees until they become a permanent part of ourselves?
We will start with our 324 students, share what we learn, invite other students, other teachers, other change-makers, into our classrooms, to join our walks and rambles, so we can learn from one another. And, over time, encourage an outward ripple effect that can positively impact our City, our world.
WMCS Fast Facts
Wangari Maathai Community School:
- Free, K-8 public charter school for Providence students
- Opening for the 2019-20 school year with grades K, 1, 5, and 6
- Place-based learning using the City as a classroom
- Leadership team committed to hiring a staff reflective of our student body
- Hands-on, project-based, student-centered curriculum
- Sustainability and environmental stewardship focus
- Restorative-justice model for conflict resolution
- Strong commitments to diversity, equity, and inclusion